A crystal-clear sky and nearly full moon caught my eye the other evening. This photograph was taken from our front door and is looking NNW. The home is that of one of our neighbors; a mid-30's couple both of whom are realtors. They have a number of horses, too. As I am typing this note, I can see a part of the house from my office window. So, even when I'm working on annoying things like bill-paying, I can console myself with a glance out the window!
Yesterday we took a short break from the madness of unpacking. However, we spent the morning in the insanity of errand-running. First off, I really do miss my curbside recycling! We took an entire pickup bed full of broken down cardboard boxes to a recycling stop in Chubbuck (the suburb of Pocatello). Fortunately, shortly after we started unpacking the truck Glenn did find one box I inadvertently threw out -- the box for our new cell phone. I needed the UPC code for one of those annoying but valuable rebates to the tune of $50!
The rest of our morning was spent returning the bedroom ceiling fan to Lowe's (it was defective) grocery shopping, and a number of other stops to make the most of our drive to town.
The afternoon, however, took a decidely leisurely turn. We'd made arrangements earlier in the week to thank our neighbors and new acquaintances, Barry and Dixie Smith, for all of their help in our move from the storage unit to the new house. They not only drove to McCammon with their pickup, they brought a covered trailer for us to use and worked hard to help us.
So, we picked them up at one o'clock and drove to Lava Hot Springs. First, we spent two hours lounging in the outdoor-natural hot pools. Talk about relaxing. We all felt like limp noodles after that! Then, we took them to dinner at a Thai Restaurant "Riverwalk" in Lava. It was o.k. Glenn and I had been to a Thai restaurant years ago in Toronto. The cuisine is similar to Chinese and other Asian cultures, but the Thai have a tendency to serve foods raw. My chicken dish and sticky rice were good as was the sauce which accompanied them. But, the purple cabbage, carrots and broccoli remained raw. I'll try it again, but it didn't make my top five list first time out.
In terms of the house, progress continues. The "Tile Guy" (Doug) forgot us on Thursday so yesterday he was out to finish up the corner shelves and soap dishes in our bathrooms. The "Drywall Guy" (Nolan) wound up his work repairing a couple of goofs; one in the third bathroom and one in the bonus room. The "Telephone Guy"did show up as scheduled. However, due to the discovery that we have no cable from the pole into our house, our landline phone cannot be installed until early next week. We are pretty sure the "Diveway Guys" have completed their work to bring us up to code in the eyes of the local fire department. As least we think they're finished; the road grader is gone.
As the holidays approach, I have limited decorations about the house and we are not attempting to put up a tree this year. This morning, however, our annual Christmas newsletter did go into the mail so I crossed that off the list of to-dos. Perhaps tomorrow, if the roads are good, I'll drive back into Poky for some further Christmas shopping.
The first winter storm roared through the area last night, but whimpered at the end. Predictions of up to 9 inches of snow which ultimately resulted in perhaps an inch reminded me of Michigan -- weather forecasters crying "the sky is falling" only to have nothing happen. . .Now, if it is like Michigan, I'm waiting for them to miss the signs all together and wake up to an unforeseen blizzard!
Off for a walk with Glenn and then weight-lifting. Meg and Josh and their friends, the Beebes (who stood up for them in the wedding) may be stopping by later this evening. I should probably wash my hair!
No comments:
Post a Comment