It's hard to imagine that we have been in Idaho for over a month already . . .we're beginning to realize this is not just 'another trip' (literally) but it is a trip (figuratively)!
Yesterday, we made it "official". . . we now have Idaho-issued driver licenses. In getting the licenses, I learned that some things are different and some things are always the same, no matter where you are.
First off, DMV offices are chronically understaffed where ever you live. Granted, we went to get the licenses on the Monday after a holiday weekend. Nonetheless, the line for the TWO clerks was out the door and down the hall (and parallel to another line of folks trying to get license plates).
The clerks displayed a calmness and serenity almost unbelievable considering the line-up of impatient citizens. Another example of public employees who deserve big raises. Perhaps they also drink heavily.
A few things I observed which are different, though.
*Although driver licenses are issued by the STATE of Idaho, the office which dispenses them is actually part of the COUNTY SHERIFF's department. In fact, when I wrote the check to pay our fees, it was written to "Bannock County Sheriff"
*Persons aged 21-62 may obtain/renew their driver license for up to EIGHT years. So, that's what we took. . . we will not have to renew until 2016. I am presuming this means we also will not have our EYESIGHT tested again until then. . .which is good for me, bad for others on the road, I'd think. This is the time of our lives when eyesight can diminish quickly. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Oh, well.
Of course, just like (mumble here) years ago, we took the driver test along with the 16-year-olds. Times, they be a changin' as now the test was given on a touch-screen computer system. I'm pleased to report that I only got one question wrong. So, I passed. And now have an "official" identity and residence with the State of Idaho.
Amazing how much this means. We can now get a safe deposit box at the bank (the DL has our address on it) . . . get our cars titled and registered. . .get a library card (which I intend to do, even though the bookmobile has been sidelined for repairs) . . . and so on.
In other news. we will visit our homesite later this evening. We met with the builder yesterday and today the trusses are supposed to be finished as well as the stairs to the bonus room. Soon we will start making more decisions . . . .exciting and overwhelming simultaneously. . . flooring, lighting fixtures, paint colors, etc. Makes my head spin, quite frankly.
So despite the fact that house is not anywhere near completion. . . and I'm a guest in my daughter's home. . .the State of Idaho has officially decreed me a POTATOHEAD!
3 comments:
As always, your stories are a pleasure to read. They always bring a smile as your wit transcends the written word. I am interested in what DL stands for?
If Linda is a Potatohead, that must make Glenn a Stud Spud.
DL = Driver Licenses
Post a Comment