Wednesday, November 5, 2008

POST-ELECTION JUBILATION!

Regardless of for whom we all voted, every American is today celebrating the end of campaign advertising! Geesh!! After awhile, they just start to get to ya!
Miles and I watched a good deal of the election coverage. He sat on my lap and watched the historic voting of Barack Obama for himself for president. (Miles was sleeping during the Biden, McCain and Paling voting, but I told him all about it).
There's a college faculty somewhere which publishes an annual list of benchmarks for incoming freshmen. It occured to me that when Miles goes off to college, his list will include "Always knew that a person of color could be elected President of the United States."
I have now returned from my 3 1/2 week sojourn to the Midwest. As I predicted, it flew by like a hummingbird on its way to a rose! Now, back home to Idaho.
My flights (both the one from Detroit to Chicago and Chicago to Salt Lake City) arrived at their destinations early! I know, you sorta gotta read it twice to make sure your eyes didn't fail you! In fact, my flight into SLC on Halloween was so early, I was able to catch the 12:00 noon shuttle northward, instead of waiting for the 1:30 on which I was originally booked. Added bonus: my luggage appeared on the carousel in Chicago before I even got there! Thumbs Up to Southwest Airlines!
Saturday, Meghan, Miles, Marsha (his other grandma) and I spent a good share of the day exploring Pocatello -- farmer's market, a thrift shop or two, and doing some shopping.
Marsha's flight out of SLC left at 10:00 a.m. which meant she needed to catch the Salt Lake Express about 5:15 a.m. So she was up and out early, tears in her eyes at leaving Miley-Guy, a sentiment I fully understand.
A good share of my time Sunday was spent merely dealing with the accumulated piles of MAIL, catching up on the checkbook, and paying the bills that had arrived during my absence. Our little 'studio apartment' (the spare bedroom Glenn and I are occupying) still looks like a whirlwind hit it, but at least the necessary things have been dealt with.
Monday, I began my official duties as daycare provider for little Mr. Miles. At almost 11 weeks, he's still sleeping a good deal. But, now when he's awake, he's becoming so much fun. I'm being rewarded with smiles and some giggles!
As regards the new house, progress really continued while I was gone. The ceramic tiles on the floor have been laid, but only about 25% grouted at this time. Base cabinets in the kitchen are in; upper cabinets are delivered, but waiting for the Formica installation. Septic system, water line, door knobs and locks, all installed. Electrician will be in next week to put in the light fixtures.
Meghan had taken some digital photos of the paint colors on the walls and I was a bit apprehensive about seeing those. Not having had much color on our walls before (remember, I've been married to Mr. Beige for a long time) . . . but I just love them!! Thank goodness. I was afraid it would look like some kind of crazy carnival or something.
I met with the builder on Monday to review a few things. He's still anticipating we'll be ready to move in by Thanksgiving. Wow!! That's only three weeks away! Holy cow!
As I write, Glenn remains in Michigan utilizing the unsold hunting property. We are resigned to the knowledge it will not sell this year. Sigh. But, at least it's completely paid for . . .!! :-)
Glenn calls frequently, especially when he's alone and hunting (I worry he might fall out of his tree stand and not be found until spring or some such thing!). He's not had any luck with his bow yet, but is seeing some nice bucks. Being 1800 miles from home will complicate matters if he is successful, but the venison would be welcome here. I didn't realize how quickly I'd come to miss it when now I'm relying on store-bought hamburger!
Now, I must head down to Mr. Miles. He's about to wake up and want his next feeding. Then, we're going to plan our post-election party -- maybe we'll make party hats?

1 comment:

Lana Faye said...

Glad to see you arrived home safely. Sorry I was unable to meet up with you while you were in Michigan. Maybe another time???