Having just taken a peek at my last post, I can't believe it's been nearly two weeks since I've recorded thoughts and updates! Time flies when you're being a grandma, I guess!
Since taking over daycare duties for little Mr. Miles on Monday, November 2 time has slipped through my fingers. Each morning, I get up around 4:45 so as to be dressed and alert (read - have a cup o' joe) before the kids leave for work. Then, it's generally just Mr. Miles and me until they return between 6:00 and 6:30 p.m.
Our days are spent with bottles (he's drinking 16 oz. of his mom's milk during the day now), diapers and naps. Sandwiched between these events are many smiles, giggles, cooing, "talking" and a new favorite activity -- looking at himself in the mirror! He seems to think that "other boy" is kind of nice and would make a good friend. (Note -- no new photos recently as Glenn has our digital camera with him in Michigan.)
Intermittenly, I keep up with the laundry, some housecleaning, and generally have dinner on the table when the kids get back. Their days are so long, their evening time with Smiley-Guy so short that it just helps out.
Sandwiched between these events has been getting back up to speed with the house. I've been making phone calls regarding so many mundane aspects of life that they sort of get taken for granted . . . homeowners' insurance for example. And the question, should I get the earthquake protection? After all, I am living on the edge of a caldera now!
Have selected the master bathroom shower door, met with the "tile guy" (actually, a young fellow named Doug who does incredible work. . .learned his craft in Park City, UT . . . a community of really expensive second- homes for the wealthy). Also have spoken with the "cabinet guy" (Ernie) who is a motorcycle riding, gourmet cooking Grandpa who happens to also make beautiful cabinetry in his shop.
This a.m. the appliances are being delivered, the lighting fixtures are there waiting for the electrician to come back and install them.
So, builder Ed is telling me he still hopes to have everything wrapped up by the end of next week, but before Thanksgiving for sure. Everything but our front step -- we've experience several days of unusually rainy weather. The front 'lawn' is quite wet and since we're at the top of a hill, excavation and getting concrete up there could be dicey. I've agreed we could wait until spring for those steps, when the ground is dried and hard again. . . rather wait than deal with difficulties. And, as I pointed out to Ed, it's not as if we know 10,000 people out here who will be making a beeline to our front door during the holidays!
Meghan didn't work on Veterans' Day, a holiday for the Soda Springs Monsanto facility, so we carted the baby into Pocatello and ran errands, etc. I found myself being drawn to items for the new house. . . but had to push my personal "pause" button because of what I can't remember. Did I pack the bathroom tumblers and soap dishes, or did I give them to Goodwill? Before I buy new stuff, I need to become reacquainted with what I packed!
Anyway, things here are coming along nicely. Anxieties about the money, the markets and the future are kept at bay. . . I'm really pleased with my ability to not focus on those things . . .we will weather the financial storm of not having sold the property yet (which was to have paid for the house), converting our construction loan to a mortgage and so on.
I have no crystal ball about those concerns, but I do know Glenn was right when he told me "Everything we've gone through -- the work, the money, the uprooting of ourselves -- has been worth it to be here with the Smiley-Guy." Sigh. Gotta go get a smile and a coo!
No comments:
Post a Comment