In my last post, I erroroneously reported we'd finished up our ice fishing season, but the fishing gods smiled on us and we made it out on Chesterfield Reservoir on Sunday, March 28. The outdoor calendar suggested it would be a good day, in fact, the best for the month so we bought another container of meal worms and took a chance. In less than two hours, we caught six trout, tossing two back to live another day. The four we brought home, pictured above, garnered us 2 1/4 pounds of tasty fillets for the freezer.
Those peering closely at the picture may wonder about the odd expression on my face. As self-appointed photographer, Glenn kept telling me the camera wasn't working; I tried to walk him through some diagnostics and meanwhile, he unknowingly snapped this shot. It's best to concentrate looking at the fish and avoiding me!
Having limited out first and needing to use the (gross) facilities in the sportsman's access area, I ventured off the ice for a few moments. Encountering a fellow and his wife, we began chatting about ice fishing. This couple have lived their entire lives in Idaho and are avid summertime fishers -- who are thinking of taking up ice fishing next winter. When I offered to walk them out to Glenn so they could our see equipment and talk to him they both said, "Oh, no. I'll fall in!" The guy said he'd only ice fish in the dead winter of January. My response, "If you won't walk out there now, you'll never be ice fishers!" Yipes, there was a minimum of 12" of ice where Glenn was sitting!
As the Easter holiday approaches, the Idaho State Journal is running the commonplace "Easter Coloring Contest" for kids. At top, Miles takes a turn at the bunny/egg picture with colored, washable and scented markers. He found it more entertaining to color on himself than the picture, I think. At bottom, we tried to get a pix of him holding his entry, but he was so proud he kept holding the masterpiece in front of his face.
This entry we mailed to the Journal for the 1-3 years old competition. A number of prizes are waiting to be won, the particular item we find most appealing (or just odd) is a $25 gift certificate to an assisted living facility. Mmm. . . if he wins. . . will he save it for us? On a more appropriate note, prior to mailing the entry, Meg and I took Miles into the local McDonald's restaurant where showing his completed picture earned him a free ice cream.
Spring continues its creep in our direction. Looking out my window as I type this, the snow remains in upper elevations although the sunny sides of mountains show the drab green-gray of last year's foliage. Yesterday we experienced alternating periods of wind, rain, snow and hail. The forecast for this week is a gloomy four to five days of the same or at least cloudy conditions. Fortunately, having spent nearly all of our lives in Michigan, this short burst of sunless skies won't get us down.
Not much other news to record today. Meghan returned safely from Belgium, glad for the experience but not wanting to be away from her family again anytime soon. Miles appears to be moving into the toddler phase of 'separation anxiety' as he is more clingy with Meghan these days, and to a certain extent, me as well. Remembering quite vividly when Meg grew through this period (crying on the floor at the locked bathroom door -- screaming as I drove off to graduate classes in the evening -- and so on) we know this behavior will pass. I'm not sure the trip to Belgium sped up Miles' transition or it was just coincidental. It makes it tough on both Meg and Josh.
In the meantime, we're hangin' with Miles and getting ready for Easter. Not much hoopla on the horizon there, but I intend to roast a turkey purchased at the Christmas holidays for dinner. We've a few trinkets for Miles-guys when the Easter bunny happens to leave a basket for him here. The following weekend, April 9-12, Glenn and I will buzz down to Flagstaff, AZ for a visit with his sister, Gayle. The period also coincides with our 36th wedding anniversary. Wow!
No comments:
Post a Comment