Monday, August 10, 2009

FAIR FARE . . . FUN STUFF!



Last Thursday, Miles, friend Dixie and I spent an afternoon at the South Bannock County Fair in Downey. Not quite sure why, but the Bannock County Fair is divided into two parts . . . last week's celebration was held in Downey and this week it comes to Pocatello. Since Miles' Grandma Marsha is coming to visit this week. . . we decided to drive south to Downey. So, while Grandpa headed off to Idaho Falls with his friend Barry to pick up Barry's atv and buy a hunting target at Sportsman's Warehouse, we took Dixie along to assist and enjoy the fair!
Actually, I think Miles enjoyed the experience for the most part. He was quite agreeable as we strolled through the animal barns and looked at sheep, goats, horses, pigs, cows, chickens, ducks and geese. He cried once. . . when the pony in the bottom photo reached its head through and licked Miles' leg! However, the goat in the top picture only sniffed. . . apparently that was o.k.!
I'm sure the Pocatello 'leg' of the fair will have more to offer. In my experience with county fairs in Michigan (Saginaw, Tuscola, Ogemaw) there were carnival rides and games and quite a few more attractions. Frankly, the Downey version of the fair was sort of on the sad side. No rides or carnival games, few food booths. On the upside, though, I'd taken Miles particularly to see the animals and there were quite a few 4-H'ers there showing off farm animals.
Exhibit areas were interesting as well. I always enjoy looking at the entries for baking and preserving, sewing and so forth. We also learned that we have three years to come up with a hobby or craft project for Miles. . . he can enter the 4-6 year-old-division in 2012!

No comments: