Thursday, September 18, 2008

JUST MUSING. . .

It's been over a week since I jotted down some thoughts about all of our great adventures of 2008 --- moving, building and becoming grandparents! Wow!! It's hard to even think about all of the things that have transpired in our lives in January 1!
Work on the new house continues. Drywall/sheetrock is up and mudding and taping should be completed on Friday. Next will come texturing the walls and the painters should begin around September 30.
In the past couple of days, Glenn and I have met with the flooring-supplier representative, and the tile installer.
We've also spent hours considering paint colors. Yipes!! Previously, I sorta complained about being married to Mr. "You can have any color you want on the walls, as long as it's beige!" Now that I am selecting actual colors, it's pretty tough. But, we finally settled on a "palette" (geez, I sound like some kind of high-falutin' interior decorator).
Our paint will come from Sherwin Williams. The major living areas will be painted in Tinsmith and Sporty Blue. Our bedroom and the guest area will be Tinsmith and Cavern Clay. White trim throughout. My goal is NOT have folks walk into our house (if we can find a friend to come over anyway!) and immediately have the word "carnival" come to mind.
The well driller FINALLY showed up yesterday after months of delays. Was to have started drilling yesterday afternoon, but got an emergency phone call from a guy whose well has problems. . .so we agreed to wait until Monday. By then our builder will be back from elk hunting, so he'll be around to prod and push the driller. . . who is also his brother-in-law!
I spoke to the driller on the phone on Tuesday. He asked me where we wanted the well. I suggested wherever the water is! Apparently, Idaho has a substantial underground aquifier (evidence is that every farmer out here irrigates) so you can almost put the well wherever it's convenient. Who knew?
We've also selected the plumbing fixtures and have an estimate. Waiting for the builder to get back with us. . . we want to be certain what we picked out is in the budget. Later today, I intend to call the lighting folks and set up an appointment with them to review my ideas for lights.
So many decisions!! It can be a bit nerve-wracking, on the other hand, it is fun to envision our choices in the mind's eye and begin to feel that it's all coming together.
In the grandparent department, Miles Guy (as grandpa calls him) continues to delight us every day. He's becoming much more animated, following lights and sounds, looking into our faces as if he's really seeing us. Grandpa also calls him Smiley, which may come from happiness and contentment or just gas. . .who knows at this point?
Meghan is feeling great and is nearly back into her former shape. Josh continues to work hard at Agrium. . .missing his boy and family every minute he's away!
We certainly will be missing them soon, as well. Glenn and I will be leaving for a trip back to the midwest on October 8. That will put us in Plainfield, IL and my sister's home on the 9th. We'll stay the weekend (they have no school Monday, Oct. 13) visiting them and my mom. Then, onward to Michigan.
We intend to stay at the cabin, unless a miracle happens and we sell it before then. My plans include the weekend of October 17-19 in Pt. Clinton, OH for a long-standing Altrusa commitment. We're keeping our Michigan tickets and will attend the UM vs MSU game on October 25.
Barring the sale of our property, I will be flying to Chicago Midway on Sunday, October 26 for another quick visit to the Hillesland's and my mom. Will return to Salt Lake City on Halloween, to relieve Grandma Waite.
Miles' other grandparents and great-grandpa are coming to visit and Grandma Marsha will remain to baby sit Miles the first week Meg returns to work. It appears I'll take over those duties on Monday, November 2.
Pending the outcome of our efforts to sell the DDR, Glenn will either stay through November 18 for the first few days of rifle season OR if it sells, may linger behind to hunt with friends a few days. Regardless, the plan now is that he will make the 1800 mile drive back by himself. . .
So, we've made more progress and more plans. Now, we'd like to see something positive in the economy . . . like a reduction in the MI unemployment rate? A rebound on Wall Street?
Glenn and I feel blessed that in all important areas of our lives, like good health for us and those we love, etc. etc. etc. all is right in our world. However, we've come to the conclusion that a black cloud sort of hangs over our heads everytime we make BIG changes in our lives. I harken back to the days of buying our house in Reese, when our first mortgage interest rate was 14%!!
If the DDR doesn't sell, we'll be carrying a mortgage on the new house, too. . . hopefully, we'll be locking into something that's not in double digits!!
And, a final note. Someone asked the other day if I'd miss the fall colors. Although this area is high desert, the colors are still pretty. As Glenn and I walk down the hill (after the struggle UP the hill) we can see across the Portneuf Valley. The hills, while not alive with the sound of music, are alive with reds, yellows, browns and some greens. It's not the colors of fall associated with Michigan or the eastern seaboard. . .but spectacular in their own distinct way nonetheless. And, on Monday morning, we saw a fox!
Off to enjoy the rest of my day. Glenn's out with a neighbor scouting hunting spots in the national forest. I'm going to catch up on Altrusa stuff. Since Michigan has a bye this weekend, at least we won't experience that pain again! Aargh!

No comments: