Thursday, June 19, 2008

An Update the BIG Move!

Dear Family and Friends,

Having received several notes from family members and friends, I felt it would be in my best interest to start a blog; at least it may prove to be less time consuming than responding individually to all!
The BIG move actually went more smoothly than expected. We used ABF/UPack for our "stuff" and they fulfilled all of their promises and then some. The tractor-trailer was dumped into our Michigan driveway on Wednesday, May 28. With the able assistance of friends, family and a good neighbor, we had the whole thing loaded by the end of the day Thursday the 29th; it was picked up late Friday afternoon and on its way.
Glenn and I departed the state on Saturday, May 31 with a two-night stop in Plainfield, IL to visit my sister Brenda and her family as well as my mom. We left there early a.m. on Monday, June 2.
Our drive across I-80 was thankfully, uneventful. We drove rather slowly (staying about 60 mph) so that required an extra night on the road. We stopped in Lexington, Nebraska and Rock Springs, Wyoming.
We hit Inkom on Wednesday, June 4 and a welcome sight, indeed, was the Jurgen household.
Glenn arranged for the tractor trailer of "stuff" to be delivered to our storage unit near McCammon, ID last Wednesday, June 11. He and I spent Thursday and Friday unloading it (we're still married). We had a bit of "hired help" -- two going-into-eighth-grade boys who wandered over at the request of our truck driver who coincidentally lives nearby. We paid them $25 each for three hours of moving the big stuff off the truck, bought 'em lunch and sent them on their way.
So now all of our personal belongings are parcelled out between a storage unit and various nooks and crannies in the Jurgen house and outbuilding.
Work on the new house has picked up. An unusually long and wet spring (we had snow flurries here on June 11!) slowed progress, but weather has improved and building begun in earnest.
As of this writing, the foundation is poured, the driveway in, retaining walls and porch poured. Builder reported this afternoon that the inside of the basement will be framed in and the floor in place by the end of the day. We'll be taking a little mosey up the hill (our lot is 1.1 miles from the Jurgen's, uphill) to see the progress.
We've started to meet the neighbors in the area and so far all seem to be pretty agreeable folks.
The general consensus of all who visit our five-acre site is that we have beautiful views (we do) and it's a nice spot to build a home. We're hopeful that it will be finished for us by Thanksgiving; keep your fingers crossed for us.
We appreciate all of the love and support shown to us as we undertake our life's great adventure. I'll keep you updated periodically!

1 comment:

Lana Faye said...

I am so glad that you now have a blog. I think of you often and wonder how things are progressing, so I will put this site in my favorites and pop in periodically when I think of you and Glenn. Say HI to the kids! Love, Lana & Ray